The Links, Incorporated is an organization of accomplished, dedicated women who are active in the Omaha community. The Links members are newsmakers, role models, mentors, activists and volunteers who work toward the realization of making the name "Links" not only a chain of friendship, but also a chain of purposeful service.
The Links, Incorporated was founded in 1946 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was at this time a group of friends joined together to "link" their friendship and resources to form a chain of strength to improve the quality of life and provide hope for disadvantaged African-American citizens. The formation of this organization set in motion an irreversible series of events, which established standards of civic responsibility and participation.
Chartered on September 30, 1950, the Omaha Chapter eagerly became involved in effecting the new concerns and mid-century imperatives in human rights, social and racial justice. The organization was of necessity compelled to respond to its national environment with a high sense of purpose. Over the following decades, the organization gathered momentum, continuously redefined its purposes, sharpened its focus, and expanded program dimensions in order to make the "Links" not only a chain of friendship but also a chain of purpose.
Five program facets define the focus for the energies of The Links, Incorporated:
· Services to Youth
· The Arts
· National Trends and Services
· International Trends and Services
· Health and Human Services
Today, the organization has an active membership of over 14,000 women nationally and internationally.